From inauguration day, to romantic anniversary dates with Michelle, and official outings in Washington DC and around the nation, President Obama’s ride is one of the safest vehicles ever made; it has to be. The 44th president’s limo — known colloquially as The Beast — is made by Cadillac, a brand with a long history of providing secure transportation to U.S. presidents since Woodrow Wilson rode down the streets of Boston during a World War 1 victory parade in 1919.
You know The Beast (How could you not?) when you see it, but did you also know?
- Equipped with a 6.5-liter diesel engine, and weighing in at a whopping 14,000 pounds, The Beast goes from 0 to 60 — its top speed— in 15 seconds (ZOOM!).
- The presidential limousine averages eight miles per gallon.
- Most of The Beast’s weight comes from the Armor protection: The body is made up of steel, aluminum, titanium and even ceramic.
- Window glass is five-inches thick, and only the driver’s window opens. All windows are hermetically sealed to protect the limo’s occupants from chemical attack.
- The Beast has its own oxygen supply.
- The doors are eight-inches thick, and weigh as much as a Boeing 747’s.
- With five-inch windows, and eight-inch doors, no sound is getting in that puppy: There are speakers built-in to relay the ambient sound of the crowd.
- The underside is reinforced with a Kevlar mat.
- The fuel tank is leak proof and filled with special foam that prevents it from exploding, even if hit directly.
- Two holes in the front bumper are strategically placed to emit tear gas and fire smoke grenades if necessary.
- There is also an infrared video system for the driver to drive through smoke, and night vision cameras for driving in darkness without lights.
- Cadillac One flies two flags: Typically, the American flag and the Presidential Standard, which are lit up at night with LEDs. When Obama, and The Beast travel internationally, the Presidential Standard is replaced by the flag of the country he is visiting.
- The Beast of today is not the same Beast in which President Obama traveled during his first term in office. A new presidential limousine is built to spec every four years, and the old ones are handed down to vice presidents and visiting heads of state.
US Sedan understands that clients require personal protection that does not impede their ability to conduct business as normal. Upon request, U.S. Sedan Service will arrange for special security services including armored transport vehicles, motorcade security, executive & diplomatic protection, security escorts and bodyguards for your safety.